Club Competitions in the 2022-23 Season
This page describes the Club's internal competitions; there are separate pages describing the Club's participation in the Torbay Leagues.
Implications of the COVID-19 Pandemic
It was decided at the AGM held on 26th May 2022 that all the Club's internal competitions will be played over-the-board; any games played online between members will not count towards the officilal club competitions. Players are not required to wear masks while attending the Club, and until further notice no specific anti-COVID precautions will be taken.
The Homan and Dunleavy Leagues
- The Club runs two ECF-rated Standardplay league divisions.
The leagues are named after former Club members who did great service for the Club.
- The top division is the Homan League
- The second division is the Dunleavy League.
- In both divisions, the format is all-play-all twice during the period up to Christmas, after which there is promotion and relegation. From January until the end of the season the all-play-all format is repeated.
- The players participating in the Homan and Dunleavy leagues are set out in the website pages describing these competitions. At the start of the season, the top half of the participating Club members, based on their August 2022 ECF standardplay ratings, are allocated to the Homan League, the remaining participating Club members are allocated to the Dunleavy League.
- In each half season, when opponents first play each other colours will be determined by toss. When the same two players meet for the second time, colours will be reversed.
- League positions are determined by points scored (1 point for a win, ½ a point for draw, 0 for a loss). When players finish equal on points, their relative league positions are determined by applying the following criteria in sequence:
- each player's points-per-game in the games between the tied players
- each player's Neustadtl Sonneborn–Berger score for the league in question.
- Promotion and relegation at Chrisatmas is "three up, three down":
- The bottom three players in the Homan League are relegated to the Dunleavy League.
- The top three players in the Dunleavy League are promoted to the Homan League.
- The Club runs an annual knockout rated Standardplay competition, the Cookworthy Cup.
- At the beginning of the season, the draw will be made and published on this website.
- For any player's first game, colours will be determined when the draw takes place; for subsequent rounds colours will be drawn on the night.
- With the exception of the final, a drawn game will be replayed, with alternating colours, until there is a winner.
- The final will be played over two games, and the winner of the final will be awarded the Cookworthy Cup. The cup will be shared in the event that the final is tied.
M Wray Shield
- The M. Wray Shield is a Standardplay league in which members can play one another in a graded game on nights when they are not involved in a Club match, and are unable to arrange a game in the Homan/Dunleavy leagues or the Cookworthy Cup.
- League positions are determined in the same way as in the Homan and Dunleavy leagues.
- The official Club season runs from 1st September 2022 up to the AGM, which is provisionally scheduled for 25th May 2023.
- The Club will not meet on Thursday 29th December 2022.
- Members may play one another in "Friendly Games". Before starting such a game, players should agree which of these categories the game is being played under:
- Friendly Standardplay Rated
- Friendly Standardplay Unrated
- Friendly Rapidplay Rated
- Friendly Rapidplay Unrated
- ECF-Rated Club Standardplay games use incremental (also known as "Fischer") time controls. Each player will have 75 minutes for the entire game, plus 30 seconds per move (starting from move 1). So, for example, if a game has 40 moves, each player will have 75 + (40 x 0.5) = 95 minutes. Both players are obliged to write down all their moves.
- For rated Rapidplay games the rate of play is all moves in 25 minutes with 10 seconds increment added per move from the beginning. There is no obligation to write down moves.
Results of games played over-the-board in Club Competitions and Friendly games designated "rated", will be sent to the ECF for rating. Results of any games played online will not be submitted to the ECF for normal rating purposes.
- Club members should wherever possible arrange their games in the internal Club competitions in advance - ideally at least a week beforehand. Arranging games in the Homan League and Cookworthy Cup takes priority over the Friendlies. You can record a pre-arranged game, and view all pre-arranged games, in the Members Area of this website.
- After each game, one of the players should email Phil McConnell with the result, the colours, and the competition in which the game was played. As a courtesy, please cc your opponent on the email. Phil will record all results on the Club website.
- If any new members join part way through the season, the Competition Secretary may, at his discretion, allocate them to enter the Homan or Dunleavy League and the Cookworty Cup.
- If your opponent requests a late start due to work commitments, please accommodate this request.
- Digital clocks are used. Our DGT 2010 digital clocks should be set into the appropriate mode as follows:
- Use Option 18 for both Standardplay and Rapidplay games with incremental time controls.
- For Standardplay games, on both left and right hand sides set the intital time to 01 hours, 15 minutes and 00 seconds, followed by a bonus time of 30 seconds.
- For Rapidplay games, on both left and right hand sides set the intital time to 00 hours, 25 minutes and 00 seconds, followed by a bonus time of 10 seconds.
Don't forget to check the website regularly for results! There is a separate web page for each Club competition.